Sunday, April 3, 2011

To Use or Not To Use

My mom and dad just purchased a new car. It isn't the first new car that they have ever purchased, but mom said that they were being so careful so as not to incur that first ding. I think this is so true with so many new things that we have in life. I know it is how I am with so many things, but particularly art and craft materials.....even found objects. I'll buy fabrics because I like the print or color of it. I buy beads because they are sparkly, shiny, colorful or just plain unusual. I buy paint, glues, papers, thread, yarn, ribbon, jewelry findings, canvases, tools, felt, colored pencils, silk flowers, rubber stamps, paint brushes,etc....the list goes on and on. Some of these supplies are bought with a specific purpose, but most are purchased without any project in mind. The material just begs to be brought home in hopes of one day being used. I bring these purchases home and carefully store them away in boxes or on shelves in my craft room for future use. Like my mother being careful with her new car, I find myself careful with my art and craft supplies. I have thought about why I am so slow to use some of my supplies and I think it is fear of failure. Fear that a project will not be what I want it to look like. Fear that I will waste good materials and never have them available to use again. Fear that I will not be able to learn a new technique. Fear of experimenting and being okay with the outcome, no matter what it may be. Fear of not getting it right the first time. (I'm sure there are other fears that I have not thought of yet.) Understanding these fears, or at least realizing them, will help me be more free to delve into some of my boxes of treasures and begin to use them. I know that part of this process will involve planning projects and being meditative about creativity, but the other part of this process is being okay with just playing and experimenting regardless of the outcome. I think the greatest tool that I have started to use is a notebook to write down ideas and sketch in....basically a journal of sorts. I'm sure as I regularly brainstorm, problem solve and doodle in my journal, I will be more at ease about the course of a project. There is one quote that comes to mind, "Plan your work and work your plan"......I think I will be using that more often too.

No comments:

Post a Comment