Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fonts, Fonts & More Fonts

My last posting was about the details found at Disney Parks. Disney is also great with fonts and lettering of any sort. They understand that the right signage adds to the theme or time period that they are presenting. I took a lettering class at Ricks College (now BYU Idaho) many years ago and learned a bit about font or letter design. Ever since then, I've been more aware of signage and how a font or the placement of lettering can really make a product or location stand out. Below are just a few examples of font types and lettering that are in use at Disney's California Adventure and Disneyland. Some of the fonts are very simple with no serifs and others are quite ornate with swirls and ornamentation added. 'Disneyland' is more calligraphic in nature, 'Waste Please' (from a trash can in Frontierland) is made up of logs and 'Grizzly Peak' is chisled into rock- proving that letters can come from anywhere and be created in many different ways. Even Walt Disney's own handwriting has become a distinct font in itself.

I am very inspired by all of these letter forms and I have a project in mind....I guess more of a personal challenge. I want to create an exemplar to send into 'Somerset Studio' for the lettering section of their magazine. What a kick if it got published....and if it didn't, what a great exercise just to see what I come up with. I'll definitely post the finished product.















No comments:

Post a Comment