My next step is to carefully wrap the project to be mailed for submission to 'Art Quilting Studio' in hopes that it finds its way to the pages of the magazine. My fingers are crossed that they want to use it.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Lessons for Kari
I have finally found a use for a patchwork pillow cover that I have had stashed away for many years. As I stated in my first post, "Let Me Begin....", I sometimes find things that I just have to have but have no idea of how I am going to use them. This was the case with a patchwork pillow cover that I found at one of my thrift haunts in Portland. It was a simple square patch design...but the almost brittle fabric and vintage calicos begged to be adopted and cared for. When I find objects such as this, I wonder who made it, what kind of home or family did it belong to, how did it survive and how did it find me? Because of the vintage aspect of the piece, I wanted to showcase the calico designs and not overwhelm them. I also collect quotes, poems and words to live by....so I decided to take some of these inspiring words and incorporate them into the design. I also added some stitched flowers, velvet flowers, postage stamps of birds and butterflys, Chinese fortunes, lace, ric rac and seed beads. To finish off the project, I attached a color copy of a childhood photo of me and letters spelling "kari". I guess I wanted the words to speak to the child in me in hopes that I may have heard them and held to those ideals....and if I still need reminding, they are there for me now as an adult.
My next step is to carefully wrap the project to be mailed for submission to 'Art Quilting Studio' in hopes that it finds its way to the pages of the magazine. My fingers are crossed that they want to use it.
My next step is to carefully wrap the project to be mailed for submission to 'Art Quilting Studio' in hopes that it finds its way to the pages of the magazine. My fingers are crossed that they want to use it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this Kari! You have always been SO creative! Actually all of you original Murphy girls are so darn talented! It's inspiring. When you are here we should all have a craft day. The girls would love it!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Heather....did you catch the 'be true', one of Pres. Hinckley's be-attitudes. I think I used three of them in this along with another inspirational writing that I had from an unknown author. I mailed it off earlier this week to one of my artsy-craftsy magazines. I'm hoping that it gets published.
ReplyDelete