Thursday, March 24, 2011

Of paper beads and tweens

I had an opportunity to share a bit of creativity with some 8 to 12 year old girls at church. I'm of the opinion that you really do not know your subject until you can successfully teach someone else what you know and how to execute a skill. That was my challenge one particular night last October.....to teach these tweens how to make paper beads. I had a huge unused stash of scrapbook paper that I cut into long triangles. With paper triangles, bamboo skewers and white craft glue in hand, I was ready to educate these girls on the finer points of paper bead making. Some girls dove in, were enthused and ended up with some very nice beads. Other girls were equally enthused, but struggled with rolling the paper and finishing it with glue.....with a little bit of cheerleading and one-on-one instruction, these girls saw improvement in their technique with each bead. Then there were one or two girls that were not the crafty type and were not excited about the task at hand, but with some encouragement managed to roll up a few beads and didn't seem to hate it so much in the end. After the class, I had scores of paper triangles left just waiting to be rolled into beads. I spent several nights watching reality TV and rolling my beads. It made me wonder if the ladies in Uganda watch 'Dancing with the Stars' while they are making their beads.....probably not.




2 comments:

  1. Kari-
    Cute post and reminder about the paper beads. I made these at YW Camp a few years ago and the girls loved them. I also work with the Activity Day girls now so this is a good idea!We just planned out through the summer, but I'll put it in my idea file.
    Carrie also works with the Activity Day girls now! How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a ton of scrapbook paper that I hadn't been using, so that is what we used to make the beads. The third photo down is of beads that I made from catalog pages- they are not as chunky, but still very colorful and interesting with the text that is on the paper.

    ReplyDelete