Currently, the Disney Gallery at Disneyland is showing some of the artwork of Mary Blair, an Imagineer that helped bring to life many films and attractions and murals for Disney. Below are some of the artworks that she created for 'Alice in Wonderland', 'it's a small world' and mural installations that are seen in Tomorrowland and the Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World. Mary Blair's artwork is distinctive in its bright and bold colors and simple geometric shapes with a modern edge. I have always loved the facade of 'it's a small world' with all of the various circles, squares and triangles creating this intricate and fascinating entrance to a very sweet and whimsical attraction. What was interesting in viewing her work was how often she collaged colored pieces of paper or fabric to create a piece. Not all of her pieces were paintings only. In some of the pieces, there were still traces of pencil where she had marked off a grid to assist her in laying out and planning her work. When I see how she worked, it gives me ideas of how I may approach my art.
No comments:
Post a Comment