Okay.....well I didn't really meet Arthur Diehl, I just happen to learn about him for the first time and instantly fell in love with his work. I happened to go to Tucson to meet up with a friend who was attending Spacefest III. While Marianne was at the various Spacefest activities and functions, I decided to check out a few places in Tucson. I learned about the many museums that the University of Arizona has on its campus....one of which was an art museum. For a small admission of $5, I made my way through the museum and enjoyed the variety of the artwork it housed. The very last collection I saw was that of Arthur Diehl. I had never heard of him before visiting this museum, but I quickly got introduced to Mr. Diehl. Arthur Diehl is described as an English landscape artist or impressionist. Both descriptions are fairly accurate, but I think he is so much more. His father was a conductor of an orchestra in England and his mother was a novelist. These influences of music and writing from his parents also provided Diehl with other ways of self expression. He had a studio for a period of time above a music store where he would often go and paint and/or play piano for the store's customers. He also was very patriotic and attempted to join the English army during WWI, but was refused due to his age (he was born in 1870). Since he couldn't serve in the armed forces, he wrote some prose that were published in a small booklet titled 'Tommy Rhymes' to commemorate his homeland and friends. I am fascinated by people such as Arthur Diehl that not only create beautiful paintings, but also create in many other ways.
Arthur Diehl is an interesting artist. His artwork ranges from impressionistic to art deco. Some of his ocean and beach scapes are almost watercolor like in their ethereal feel. Many of his city scapes of European villages or city streets have a sketch like feel to them in the way they were painted. This sketch like technique in Diehl's painting give them an impressionistic feel and an almost dream like quality....as if to remind himself of a fond memory in another time and place. One of his last paintings is a portrait of his son that he painted from his hospital bed at the end of his life. This portrait is somewhat monochromatic and was painted within 30 minutes, but what makes it interesting is how finished or complete is looks. May artists are described as prolific, and Arthur Diehl is one of those artists. He produced not only paintings in canvas sizes that we are so accustomed to seeing, but he also painted very tiny miniature landscapes so that anyone, regardless of their price point could purchase from him. I think that speaks to his heart and how he wanted to share his creativity with everyone, not just the elite or wealthy.
It is truly interesting who or what you will find when you go out and explore.....and what a find Arthur Diehl was!
No comments:
Post a Comment